Vegan Tofu Pho
Vegan Tofu Pho
Vegan Tofu Pho is a delicious plant-based twist on the classic Vietnamese noodle soup. The broth is made with a combination of vegetable stock, soy sauce, and spices. The tofu provides a protein-packed alternative to the traditional beef used in traditional pho. The soup is garnished with a variety of fresh herbs, vegetables, and other garnishes. The result is a savory and comforting bowl of vegan goodness that will satisfy any appetite.
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (optional)
- 1 package of dried rice noodles
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup of sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup of bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup of roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
Begin by pressing the tofu. Remove the tofu from its package and drain the excess liquid. Place the tofu between two plates or cutting boards and place a heavy object on top to press out the liquid. Let the tofu press for at least 30 minutes.
Once the tofu has been pressed, heat the canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, coriander, fennel, and cinnamon stick and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, and fish sauce (if using). Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot. Discard the solids.
Return the broth to the pot and bring it back to a simmer. Add the noodles and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tofu and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls. Garnish with the basil, cilantro, mint, green onions, bean sprouts, lime wedges, peanuts, and jalapeño (if using). Serve hot.