Pineapple curry is a vegetarian dish that combines the sweet and savory flavors of pineapple with traditional Indian spices. The pineapple is cooked in a creamy coconut milk-based sauce that is flavored with ginger, garlic, curry powder, and other spices. This dish is perfect for vegetarians and vegans alike, as it is both nutritious and flavorful. Serve this curry with basmati rice or naan bread for a complete meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (14-ounces) coconut milk
- 1 can (14-ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (20-ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, and pineapple chunks. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve hot over basmati rice or with naan bread. Enjoy!