Vegan Chai Latte
Chai is a traditional Indian tea made from a blend of spices and herbs, including cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and star anise. It is usually brewed with black tea, but can also be prepared without black tea. Chai latte is a creamy, spiced latte made with the same spices as the traditional Indian tea, but served with steamed milk instead of water. It is a delicious and comforting beverage that is perfect for any time of day.
This vegan chai latte recipe is a delicious twist on the traditional Indian tea. It is easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients. The creamy texture and subtle spices make it a great choice for those looking to satisfy their sweet tooth without compromising their vegan or vegetarian lifestyle.
- 1 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk (such as almond, coconut, or oat milk)
- 1 tablespoon of chai tea blend (such as Tazo or Yogi)
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup (or agave nectar, honey, or other sweetener)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground star anise (optional)
Start by combining all of the spices in a small bowl. Mix them together until they are well blended, then set aside.
Next, pour the non-dairy milk into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When the milk is warm, whisk in the chai tea blend and the spice mixture. Continue whisking until the chai mixture is frothy and steaming, about 5 minutes.
Once the chai latte is hot, remove it from the heat and stir in the maple syrup (or other sweetener). Taste and adjust the sweetness to your preference.
To serve, pour the vegan chai latte into two mugs. You can garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, a cinnamon stick, or a dollop of vegan whipped cream (optional). Enjoy!